Our current open positions can be found below
ActiveDays Ontario - Trip Leader
Parkbus connects city dwellers with nature through accessible transportation options. Founded in 2010, we operate bus services to National and Provincial Parks from major cities across Canada. While Parkbus pioneered a successful city-to-park shuttle model, many people required additional resources and support to feel safe to get outside. To address this issue, Parkbus created ActiveDays, a community program offering guided group day hikes. ActiveDays trips combine social interaction, community-oriented programming that are guided by professional trip leaders. ActiveDays uses the outdoors as a community building tool and is creating a collective with a passion to get outdoors, explore, learn and have fun together.
Parkbus is looking for an experienced guide to support in the delivery of our all-year-around ActiveDays program. The Trip Leader would facilitate and lead day and overnight trips from Toronto to various parks and conservation areas throughout southern Ontario.
We’re looking for an individual with extensive experience guiding in the outdoors, strong leadership and group facilitation skills and confidence to be responsible for a group of individuals in wilderness settings.
The ActiveDays Trip Leader must have a passion for the outdoors and an ability to create inclusive spaces. ActiveDays uses planned outdoor programming to create a community of outdoor enthusiasts that feels inclusive to newcomers, low income families and members of visible minorities.
The ActiveDays Trip Leader must have excellent interpersonal communication skills. Experience working within groups and experience leading groups of people from various backgrounds are strong assets. An interest in education and community building is preferred. The Trip Leader must have a passion for the outdoors. The facilitator also must be organized and able to juggle multiple administrative tasks.
This position is based out of Toronto, Ontario. Most programs will be day trips out of Toronto. As our program frequency changes with each season, hours may vary between 2-3 trips/ month with the potential of increasing to 6-8 trips per month.
- - Take the lead on facilitating active, nature-based programs that get participants outside and exploring. Facilitate groups of up to 50 clients from a variety of backgrounds on outings.
- - Supervise and guide individuals or groups on trips that involve but not limited to hiking, canoeing, paddling, backcountry.
- - Describe points of interest, answer questions and supply information related to the trip, trails and itinerary
- - Collect registration information and waivers
- - Instruct and assign tasks to volunteers
- - Plan and carry out recreational activities
- - Prepare to the trip and study the trip location and maps beforehand
- - Community building is a key component to these programs. These programs aim to create a community of like-minded individuals who have a passion to get outside and explore. Facilitating open conversations and creating an environment of inclusion is central to the role.
- - Submit written reports on all trips
- - Handle the risk management duties of taking groups of people into the outdoors.
- - Experience in leadership roles guiding people in the outdoors. Experience in group facilitation is a must
- - Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- - An interest in education or/and community building is preferred.
- - A knowledge of local trails and outdoor spaces around Ontario.
- - Strong passion and experience in various outdoors activities that include but are not limited to hiking, camping,
- - backpacking, canoeing etc.
Preference will be given to candidates who have knowledge in naturalism, wilderness, history, eco therapy and any other nature, wellness and outdoor related subjects.
- - Strong attention to detail, ability to multitask.
- - Excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- - Must have experience working with diverse groups of people. Experience working with individuals of different cultures, backgrounds, abilities and ages.
- - Up-to-date certification in First Aid, Wilderness First Aid (WFA) or Wilderness First Responder (WFR) or Wilderness
- Advanced First Aid (WAFA) is a must
- - Other outdoor guiding and safety certifications are assets.
- - Available to lead minimum of 1-2 day trips per month
ActiveDays Director of Programming and Parkbus Directors
WAGE & HOURS
$150-300 per day trip depending on length of a trip.
Based out of Toronto, ON. Trips to various parks in Ontario.
The application deadline is ASAP or by October 1st, 2023. We'll be reviewing and conducting interviews as soon as applications roll in. A big thank you to all who applied! Please be aware that we will only be contacting successful applicants.